Grassland Monitoring Manual for British Columbia:
A Tool for Ranchers
Maintaining healthy, reliable grass from year to year while dealing with fluctuating climatic conditions and shifting operational needs can be challenging. The Grassland Monitoring Manual For British Columbia: A Tool For Ranchers is a useful way to measure change on your grasslands, whether they are on Crown or private lands.
Addressing problems at an early stage helps ranchers maintain healthy, productive grasslands. This manual provides a strong systematic approach for recording what is happening on their grassland—both the changes they currently see on the land base and the changes they might expect based on their management practices.
Monitoring Training for Ranchers
In collaboration with the BC Rangeland Management School and the Ministry of Forests and Range, the GCC will offer training workshops in your region. Training is highly recommended for all users, as it will ensure effective application and usable information for your operation. Further information and Registration form available here. New date for Kamloops: June 26
Grasslands Monitoring Manual
You may need to download the latest Adobe Reader to properly view the report.
FULL MANUAL (PDF 15MB)
Forms to be downloaded separately:
Grassland Assessment Score Sheet
Photo Information Sheet
Photo Identifier Card
Grassland Monitoring Summary Sheet
MANUAL BY CHAPTER
CHAPTER 1: Introduction (1MB)
CHAPTER 2: How to Use This Manual (1MB)
CHAPTER 3: Identifying Your Grassland Community (500KB)
- Map 1: Thompson-Nicola Region (1.5MB)
- Map 2: Okanagan-Similkameen Region (1MB)
- Map 3: Boundary Region (600KB)
- Map 4: East Kootenay Region (1.2MB)
- Map 5: Cariboo-Chilcotin Region (1.6MB)
CHAPTER 4: Selecting a Monitoring Site (500KB)
CHAPTER 5: Assessing Your Grassland Community
- Booklet 1: Big Sagebrush, Bluebunch Wheatgrass Grasslands and Antelope-brush, Bluebunch Wheatgrass Grasslands (Lower Grasslands) (2MB)
- Booklet 2: Bluebunch Wheatgrass Grasslands (Middle Grasslands) (2MB)
- Booklet 3: Rough Fescue Grasslands (Upper Grasslands) (2MB)
- Booklet 4: Rough Fescue, Antelope-brush Grasslands (Upper Grasslands) (2MB)
- Booklet 5: Porcupine, Bluebunch Wheatgrass Grasslands and Spreading Needlegrass Grasslands (Upper Grasslands) (2MB)
CHAPTER 6: Photo-point Monitoring
CHAPTER 7: Interpreting Results
CHAPTER 8: Score Sheets and Templates
- Grassland Assessment Score Sheet
- Photo Information Sheet
- Photo Identifier Card
- Grassland Monitoring Summary Sheet
CHAPTER 9: Appendix
Ordering printed editions of the Grassland Monitoring Manual for British Columbia:
The Grassland Monitoring Manual for British Columbia was developed by ranchers for ranchers. Ranchers may receive one complimentary copy of the manual each. For others and for additional copies for ranchers, the price of $45.00 is to cover the cost of printing the manual.
To order a printed edition of the Grassland Monitoring Manual for British Columbia, please [download the order form] (pdf).
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
The GCC would like to recognize and sincerely thank the following organizations for their generous financial support for this project.
- Agriculture Environment Partnership Initiative
- BC Ministry of Agriculture and Lands
- BC Ministry of Environment
- BC Ministry of Forests and Range
- Beef Cattle Industry Development Fund (BCIDF)
- Grazing Enhancement Program
- Habitat Conservation Trust Fund
- The Brink/McLean Grassland Conservation Fund
- The McLean Foundation
- Tula Foundation